Thursday, August 23, 2007

"Indoctrination"

from Booking Through Thursday:
"When growing up did your family share your love of books? If so, did one person get you into reading? And, do you have any family-oriented memories with books and reading? (Family trips to bookstore, reading the same book as a sibling or parent, etc.)"

I come from a family of readers. Although my mother steadfastly refused to teach me to read and write, she did take my siblings and me to the library when I was older. Getting a library card felt like an important step. She took us there often.

Mom loved books from childhood onward. When we were growing up, she took us to her favorite discount store occasionally, and gave us each five dollars to spend as we wished. Such wealth! I was always thrilled. Invariably I used my money to buy as many paperback books as possible. I remember standing in front of the book-laden racks figuring and re-figuring how to buy as many books as possible without going one penny over the dollar bills clenched in my hand.
(submitted by Moon Rani)

No comments: