Thursday, September 06, 2007

"Goldilocks" Booking Through Thursday

Okay, so the other day, a friend was commenting on my monthly reading list and asked when I found the time to read. In the ensuing discussion, she described herself as a “goldilocks” when it comes to reading–she needs to have everything juuuuuust right to be able to focus. This caught my attention because, first, I thought that was a charming way of describing the condition, but, two, while we’ve talked about our reading habits, this is an interesting wrinkle. I’d never really thought about it that way.
So, this is my question to you–are you a Goldilocks kind of reader?
Do you need the light just right, the background noise just so loud but not too loud, the chair just right, the distractions at a minimum?
Or can you open a book at any time and dip right in, whether it’s for twenty seconds, while waiting for the kettle to boil, or indefinitely, like while waiting interminably at the hospital–as long as the book is open in front of your nose, you’re happy to read?


A "Goldilocks reader" - - what a clever phrase! This reader is no Goldilocks, at least not most of the time. I slip into books like a swimmer into a bath-warm pool, and I luxuriate in my reading submersion as long as possible. I am an overly sensitive person, always have been, and everything but everything bothers, distracts or irritates me. But reading usually takes me into the world of the book so that I am a step removed from the real world.
(submitted by Moon Rani)

No comments: