Sunday, May 11, 2008

Sunday recipe

Banana bread

This recipe is based on a recipe for banana muffins on
www.saffrontrail.blogspot.com. Visit the site for loads of excellent vegetarian recipes and nutrition tips.

1C. whole wheat flour
1 heaping t. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
2 large bananas, mashed - - use very ripe (even nearly black) ones
2 T. honey - - Use a free hand when measuring the honey. I used wild thistle honey.
2 T. butter
A scant pinch of salt
1 T. rum
1/2 - 3/4 C. dried cherries

Heat oven to 350F. Combine the dry ingredients well. Melt the butter. Mix it well with the honey and rum, then mix that into the bananas. Add the cherries to the dry ingredients. Combine the wet and dry ingredients until mixed, but do not beat.
Turn into a greased loaf pan. This makes a small, flat loaf, so the batter will not fill the pan. Bake approximately 45 minutes, then let cool completely before removing from pan. I baked my bread by smell, but I think it took about that length of time.

This bread is moist, but it is not as dense nor as "wet" as my recipe from this winter. I think this is superior to that one.
Feel free to experiment with this.

No comments: