Sunday, February 03, 2008

Peanuts and survival

Peanuts make frequent appearances in my daily diet, usually in the form of peanut butter, which is easier for me to manage than roasted peanuts. I enjoy a treat common in Dixie, boiled peanuts, but just try to find those outside of the South. Yesterday I made peanut butter-ginger cookies. Yes, peanuts and I are dear, old friends.
Here in America, the natural association with peanuts is Dr. George Washington Carver, who found about 350 ways to use that humble legume. He also worked with cowpeas and sweet potatoes, among other things. Not only was he a brilliant scientist and teacher, but he was a poet, a painter, an athletics enthusiast and a generally cultured gentleman. If he were still alive, he would be somewhere around 143 years old (his birthdate is estimated). If you feel like reading a book about him, you will have to make do with a children's textbook. There may be a boigraphy in book form for adults, but a casual search turned up nothing. N.B. to aspiring writers, here is a subject that is ripe for your attentions.
This means I have no book to recommend for you, but I do have a Website that is hemi-semi-demi-related to Dr. Carver because the topic is nutrition from peanuts. Visit http://www.projectpeanutbutter.org/. This is a most worthy charity that provides a form of super-nutrient paste, based on peanuts. It is given to starving children in Malawi, (in southeast Africa) with a ninety-percent survival rate reported.
I like to imagine Dr. Carver's looking on at Project Peanut butter and smiling with approval.
(submitted by Moon Rani)

1 comment:

Paula said...

hey thank you again Moon Rani for such a great post!
I am diabetic so peanuts (in some form, cheese and apples are my bestfriends between meals for giving energy and stabilizing my blood sugars.
The project sounds awsome I am going to go visit it and see how I can help.
:)