Saturday, February 16, 2008

Spiritual Sunday

Two small books are my dear, daily companions, augmenting my spiritual journey. Daily Strength for Daily Needs and Joy and Strength are long since out of print, but are available at places such as www.abebooks.com. I found my first copy at a used-book sale, quite by chance.
The books are compilations of quotations from secular sources as well as from Holy Writ. Both are edited by Mary Wilder Tileston. There is one page for each day of the year, about two minutes' worth of reading, but a day's worth of contemplation and fortification of the spirit. Quotations come from Ralph Waldo Emerson, Gerhard Teerstegen, St. Teresa, Charles Wesley and many more sources. A Scripture quotation begins each day with the additional passages relating to the day's Biblical theme.
My Daily Strength... bears a publishing date of 1897. My Joy... is a 1929 edition of the 1901 orignal. I find it both comforting and interesting that the issues of those times relate to our own issues and feelings. I also find it interesting that, very often, the day's topic will be just what I need when I need it. These books have been, and are, wonderful resources for my Christian life.

No comments: